Thanksgiving Pet Safety
Overindulging in the family feast can be unhealthy for humans, but even worse for pets: Fatty foods are hard for animals to digest. Poultry bones can damage your pet’s digestive tract. And holiday sweets can contain ingredients that are poisonous to pets including chocolate, grapes, spices and certain nuts. Don’t forget the sides that may contain milk, butter, onions, scallions, garlic, herbs or other harmful foods.
- Keep the feast on the table
- No pie or other desserts for your pooch
- Yeast dough can cause problems for pets
- Put the trash away where your pets can’t find it
- Be careful with decorative plants
- Quick action can save lives. If you believe your pet has been poisoned or eaten something it shouldn’t have, call your veterinarian or local veterinary emergency clinic immediately. You may also want to call the ASPCA Poison Control Hotline: 888-426-4435. Signs of pet distress include: sudden changes in behavior, depression, pain, vomiting, or diarrhea. Contact your veterinarian immediately.
Precautions for Parties
- Visitors can upset your pets.
- Watch the exits.
- Identification tags and microchips reunite families
- Watch your pets around festive decorations